We had a fabulous first day of fourth grade!
Thursday, August 25, 2016
Dear Fourth Graders,
I hope that you’re having a wonderful summer! We have had beautiful, sunny weather here in Vermont, and I sincerely hope that you’ve gotten outside and enjoyed it with your friends and families. I certainly have!
I know that you’ve still got a few more weeks of vacation left to enjoy, but I wanted to send this letter letting you know that I’m really looking forward to seeing all of you on the first day of school. We’re going to have a busy year with tons of exciting learning activities and fun challenges that will help us grow. Get lots of rest and be ready to dive right in when school starts!
Here is a list of school supplies that you’ll use throughout the year. I always have some extras in the classroom, but if your family is able to supply these items, it would be helpful. Make sure to put your name on all of your notebooks and personal items before coming to school.
- 1 plain white t-shirt (name on the tag with permanent marker)
- 1 set of comfortable earbuds/headphones for use with Chromebook
- 1 1” 3-ring binder (no velcro or fancy closures)
- 1 set of 3-ring binder dividers with tabs
- 1 durable two-pocket home/school folder (plastic holds up best)
- 1 single-subject spiral-bound wide ruled notebook
- 1 hardcover composition notebook*
- 1 hardcover graph paper notebook
- 1 pencil pouch (for inside your desk, so it must be small)
- 1 pack of #2 pencils and/or a few mechanical pencils with lead
- 1 or 2 ball point pens
*This hardcover composition notebook will be your writer’s notebook, so make sure that the lines are a good fit for your handwriting. If you prefer writing without lines, this notebook could be filled with blank pages instead. Feel free to decorate it with personal photos, drawings, magazine clippings, or words that inspire you!
Our classroom is going to be an exciting and busy place! I hope to incorporate many opportunities for you to explore, experiment, and create projects, so if your families would like to add to the tools and supplies in our classroom, here are some ideas of things you can bring in. These items will be shared among students, so please don’t send in anything you or your families want back. Thanks for your support!
- Old cameras with chargers, memory cards and USB cords
- Webcams (to help our Chromebooks work like iPads)
- 1.5-3V mini motors (with about a 7mm shaft is great)
- 3V lithium batteries (“coin” or circle batteries)
- Electrical tape
- Small electrical switches
- Battery holders with wires
- Duct tape
- Toys for building: Legos, K’NEX, Polydrons, marble machines, etc.
- Tools: hammers, pliers, wire strippers, glue guns with sticks, etc.
- Art project supplies: pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks, cardstock, tissue paper, etc.
To keep up our energy for all of this hard work and creativity, we will have a designated snack time everyday. It is important that you eat healthy foods to help refuel your body, so pack something nutritious or opt for a tasty and healthy RES snack bag! You might also want to bring a spill-proof water bottle to keep at your desk to stay hydrated throughout the day.
I hope that the rest of your summer is filled with sunshine and fun! See you on Wednesday, August 31, 2016!
Ms. Portia Senning
P.S. Please have a parent or guardian fill out the forms sent home this summer and bring them with you on the first day of school!